Baxter M. Hood Continuing Education Center YTC Foundation Information Contact the College Key Word Search

Understanding Financial Aid - Click here for a presentation about Financial Resources at York Technical College. 

Your Financial Resources Counselor is available to answer questions, provide advice and give information relating to financial assistance.  You may contact her for assistance while attending York Technical College.

 If your last name begins with A-F, your counselor is Denise Chestnut-Walker.  She can be reached at or 803-981-7139.

If your last name begins with G-M, your counselor is Tammy Tran.  She can be reached at or 803-323-5988.

If your last name begins with N-Z, your counselor is Kara Traverse.  She can be reached at or 803-981-7120.

An appointment is not required, but available if you would like.  You may call our office at 803-327-8005 to set up an appointment.  If you prefer to walk-in for assistance, our office hours are Monday - Thursday 8 am - 7 pm and Friday 8 am - 5 pm (except 8 am - 3 pm on Friday during the months of May-August).

View Financial Assistance Brochure

View Financial Assistance Checklist

Financial Assistance Overview

General Information

The mission of York Technical Collegeís Financial Resources Office is to provide quality assistance to all students and to make every effort to insure students who desire to attend the College, but cannot afford to do so, are provided financial resource assistance to complete their educational goals. The types of aid available include grants, scholarships, loans, a tuition payment plan, part-time employment, and veteransí benefits.

The Financial Resources Office is located in the Student Services Building. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday (3 p.m. Friday from May-August). Students may contact the office at  (803) 327-8005.  Our fax number is 803-981-7278. 

After Submitting the Free Application 
for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

A Student Aid Report (SAR) will be available online at within two to four weeks after the FAFSA is submitted. Applicants should review the SAR carefully and notify the Financial Resources Office if corrections are needed.  The Financial Resources Office will receive the studentís record electronically (if the student listed York Technical Collegeís school code [003996] on the FAFSA) and contact the student if additional information is required.  Missing information letters are mailed out upon receipt of the financial aid application and a reminder email is sent in 30 days.  You may also use WebAdvisor to check for documents needed.  Forms can be downloaded and printed from WebAdvisor.

Electronic PIN Numbers

The U.S. Department of Education will mail a personal identification number to new students who apply for assistance. Students can use the PIN to access account information, renew applications, and take the place of the studentís signature for FAFSA on Web applications. Request a PIN at 

Additional Financial Aid Websites

Apply for student aid or make corrections at Search publications such as The Student Guide or Funding Your Education at


Priority dates are identified for each semester to provide adequate time for processing and awarding financial assistance to students before classes start. If students submit their financial aid application after these dates, they should be prepared to pay for tuition, fees and books. Award notifications will be mailed approximately two weeks after student files are complete. The award notification will list the type(s) and amount(s) of assistance.  You can also view your status and award(s) on WebAdvisor.

Priority Dates

Fall: June 1
Spring: November 1

Summer: March 1

Students must have their financial aid package completed before registration. Late applicants must come prepared to meet their expenses. Reimbursements (up to the amount of eligibility) are made to qualified students.

Lottery Tuition Assistance (LTA)

You must be enrolled in at least six credit hours per semester.  After attempting 24 credit hours, you must have a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0.  You may not receive this assistance for more than one certificate, diploma or degree earned within a five year period unless the additional certificate or diploma constitutes progress in the same field of study.  Students who are eligible for or a recipient of LIFE Scholarship may not receive this assistance.


A number of scholarships are available to qualified students. Scholarships are provided through the York Technical College Foundation and local citizens, civic clubs and businesses. They are awarded on a competitive basis based on financial need, academic excellence, and leadership.  Other scholarships may become available throughout the year and this information is published in the monthly student newsletter.

Federal Stafford Loans

Federal Stafford Loans are now available at York Technical College.  You must file a FAFSA to determine your initial eligibility.  Online entrance loan counseling is required for all borrowers and an entrance interview will be required for first-time student borrowers.  Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress and have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA.  For more information and the request form, please stop by the Financial Resources Office in the Student Services Building.

Registration Procedures for Students Receiving
Financial Assistance

STEP ONE: Select course(s) with an advisor.
STEP TWO: Register for course(s) through Student Records or advisors. 

Each registration period has a payment deadline. It is the studentís responsibility to make sure adequate financial assistance is available to cover expenses.  You may check with the Business Office before the payment deadline.  Failure to do so will cancel the studentís registration. 

Checks are written at least once per term and mailed to students by the Accounting Office after the midpoint of the semester.  Please make sure your mailing address is correct in the Academic Records Office.

Eligibility Requirements

To receive Federal Title IV assistance and state assistance, students must do the following:
1. demonstrate financial need (except for unsubsidized Stafford loans)
2. submit all required documentation
3. have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or have met specific test scores on a test approved by the U.S. Department of Education (Ability-to-Benefit)
4. be enrolled in an eligible program of study
5. be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
6. have a valid Social Security number
7. make satisfactory academic progress
8. sign a statement on the FAFSA certifying that federal student aid will be used for educational purposes only
9. sign a statement on the FAFSA certifying they are not in default on a federal student loan or that they do not owe money back on a federal student grant 
10. register with Selective Service, if required
11. have not borrowed in excess of Title IV loan limits

Instructional Programs Ineligible for Financial Assistance

The Federal requirements for program eligibility may restrict some diploma or certificate programs. Although the Financial Resources Office makes every effort to monitor these programs, it is the responsibility of the student to assure acceptance into a program that is eligible for federal aid. These are the ineligible programs:
* Advanced Telecommunications
* Automotive Electrical 
* Automotive, Brakes, Steering & Suspension 
* Automotive Electrical & Air Conditioning
* Automotive Fuel Systems 
* Automotive Power Trains
* Basic Electricity 
* Basic Telecommunications
* Basic Welding
* Biomedical Equipment
* Career Development
* Central Service
* Engine and Repair 
* HVAC Installer
* HVAC Systems Design
* HVAC Service Technician 
* Industrial Electronics
* MIG, TIG, and Pipe Welding
* Motors and Controls 
* Network Operations
* Programmable Controls
* Residential/Commercial Plumbing

*General Studies - High School

In addition to the above, courses being audited by the student and Continuing Education classes are not eligible for financial assistance. 

Federal Work-Study (FWS) Jobs

Students may earn money while working a part-time job on campus.  Jobs are posted in the Financial Resources Office and students must apply by completing an interview request form.  Jobs are designed to work around your class schedule and pay rates start at $7.25 per hour. 



LAST UPDATED: Thursday, March 25, 2010

Send email to

While every effort is made to ensure the completeness and accuracy of
the information supplied on this webserver, York Technical College is not
responsible for any errors or omissions, external links, or individual opinions.