Presidential Ambassador Program
The purpose of the Presidential Ambassador Program is to promote York Technical College’s image, stimulate interest and participation of students in campus activities and to preserve and increase loyalty and commitment to the institution, students, alumni, local community, faculty and staff.
- Inform prospective students and parents interested in the college about academic programs, faculty and students, physical facilities, student organizations, and student services
- Assist in the delivery of outreach programs and services in targeted underrepresented populations and promote college enrollment throughout the local high schools and tri-county community
- Personalize the YTC experience by making campus visitors feel welcome, comfortable, and positive about the college by demonstrating sincerity, enthusiasm, and credibility
- Develop a lifelong connection and loyalty to the college
Ambassadors will be required to attend monthly meetings and participate in at least 5 activities each semester. Ambassadors must also demonstrate academic excellence with a cumulative of 2.5 GPA or higher and have completed 12 institutional credits hours in addition to the following:
- Must be enthusiastic and display a positive attitude
- Good work ethics to perform assigned tasks
- Excellent communication skills
- Must have a genuine desire to show constituents why YTC is… The best place to learn. Best place to work. Best partner for economic development.
- Must be able to adapt to a variety of situations
- Must be in good academic, financial, and disciplinary standing
- Must be able to commit 5 hours per week to the Ambassador Program
- Student must have a valid SC driver’s license
- Intend to serve as a Presidential Ambassador for at least two consecutive semesters
- Maintain a valid driver’s license
- Fluency in a language other than English
Responsibilities of an Ambassador
Ambassadors will host on-campus visits and serve as a resource for prospective and current students. In addition, ambassadors will work with various campus departments as needed and attend training sessions and monthly meetings.
Ambassadors will represent YTC in the following events:
- Attend mandatory training sessions
- Lead campus tours
- Career Fair
- Open House
- Assist with planning and/or implementation of special student activities, such as African-American month, College Transfer Day, and the Graduation Commencement Ceremony
- Assist with the student orientation programs
- Serve as an ambassador for alumni relations
- Call prospective students and applicants
- Serve on student focus groups
- Participate in a community service project
Ambassadors will be participating in various professional development workshops, including Public Speaking Communication, Leadership Development, Conflict Resolution, Team Building, Time Management, Robert’s Rules of Order, and many other topics to professionally develop ambassadors and the program.
- Students must complete an application
- Provide two letters of recommendation, one must be from a faculty member
Initially, seven ambassadors will be chosen to serve as a Presidential Ambassador. Additional ambassadors may be selected in the future as the program develops. One candidate will be chosen to serve as a lead Ambassador to assist with scheduling and planning events.
Benefits for selected ambassadors include:
- High visibility on campus and in the community
- Leadership training and opportunities
- Unparalleled experience in personal relations including meeting with people, sharpening public speaking skills and representing the College, which develops a professional skills and confidence vital to success in job interviews and career advancement
- Enhanced employability
- Personal development