Web Tools

Frequently Asked Questions

Parents of York Tech Students

There is no doubt that earning an college education will be one of the most important investments your child will make. We know that you probably have many questions about how your daughter or son will transition from high school to college. We understand. Know that York Technical College is committed to the success of our students and that we take seriously our call to help each one achieve his or her educational goals.

We hope you find the information contained in our parent's page links helpful as you assist your son or daughter in making critical educational and career decisions. Feel free to contact the Admissions Office and speak with a counselor if you need further information.

Q. Why should my child consider York Technical College?

A. A degree, diploma or certificate at York Technical College will give your child special skills and practical knowledge in fields such as Industrial and Engineering Technology, Health and Human Services, Information Technology, Business Administration and other fields. York Technical College was founded in 1964 to help students prepare for careers that are in high demand in South Carolina and across the country. Most all students are eligible for some type of financial assistance through federal grants and/or state scholarships. Your child could have a marketable degree and a great paying job with a minimum investment of time and money.

Q.  Doesn't my child have to complete at least a 4-year degree to be competitive in today's job market? 

A.  85% of all jobs in SC can be reached through a technical education.  Industry experts agree that at least 65% of future jobs will require specific or occupational training, not a four-year degree.  Programs of study at York Technical College prepare graduates for fields where job growth is expected.  One of the fastest growing categories of students in the technical colleges are 4-year college graduates who need to acquire hands-on skills that employers are demanding. 

Q.  My child is considering a 4-year college.  What are the advantages of starting at York Technical College?

A.  If a four-year (bachelor's) degree is your child's goal, getting started at York Technical College is a great first step. You wouldn't believe how much money you will save if your child completes his or her first two years of education at York Technical College then transfers to the four-year institution of his/her choice.  Transitioning from high school to college can be quite an emotional time in your child's life.  Many students find it advantageous to begin their college education while still living at home.  Studies show that many students who complete their first year or two at a junior college actually perform better academically than students who started at a 4-year college. Your child will benefit from well qualified faculty who must meet the same academic standards as those teaching in 4-year colleges and universities in SC.  In many cases your child's classes will be considerably smaller than those at a four-year college. Going to college can be quite an adjustment and smaller classes are a real plus when students find they need a little extra help. 

Q.  How will I know that my child will be taking the right courses he/she needs to transfer?

A.  York Technical College and the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education work together continually to improve opportunities for transfer of course credits to the public senior colleges and universities in our state. A student can enter York Technical College's Associate in Arts or Associate in Science Degree programs with the knowledge that, by working with a University Transfer advisor in selecting appropriate courses, the student can arrange an individualized program for transfer.  Individual articulation agreements are established directly with some local colleges. A student planning to transfer will meet with a University Transfer advisor to plan appropriate course work at York Technical College.

Q.  What is my child's first step in applying for financial aid?

A.  All students should complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  The main purpose of this form is to assess your child's eligibility for the federal PELL Grant.  This is the largest source of financial aid in the U.S.

Q.  Why should my child submit the FAFSA?

A.  The only way to know for sure if your child will be eligible for the PELL grant is to submit the FAFSA.  Also, submission of the FAFSA is also a requirement for S.C. Lottery Tuition Assistance or LTA.  Lottery Tuition Assistance can pay over half of your child's tuition.

Q.  My child will graduate from a SC high school with a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.  Will he/she automatically be eligible for the LIFE Scholarship?

A.  Among the requirements for the LIFE Scholarship, is enrollment in a minimum of 12 credit hours of non-remedial coursework in a semester.  If your student needs remedial courses based upon his/her placement test scores, his/her eligibility for the LIFE Scholarship may be delayed during the completion of these courses. 

Q.  What is dual enrollment and why should my high school student consider participating? 

A.   Dual Enrollment applies to students who are enrolled in both high school and college.  Dual Credit Enrollment is when a high school student enrolls in college courses, and requests both high school credit and college credit.  Dual Enrollment is available to eligible juniors or seniors who obtain both parent and school written permission.  A recent study by the Community College Research Center shows that once in college, students who had taken dual enrollment courses received higher grade point averages (GPA) and persisted in completing a college credential at a rate greater than their peers.

Q.  My child needs additional credits to graduate from high school and wants to enroll in York Technical College courses for this purpose.  Can you tell me what courses will meet the graduation requirements for his/her school?

A.  Only your school can determine what courses will meet the requirements for high school graduation.  Be sure to discuss your child's situation with his/her counselor.

Q.  My child took the SAT and/or ACT.  Does he/she have to take the York Technical College placement test?

A.  It depends on the scores.  Contact the Admissions Office for more information. 

Q.  Can my child pass or fail the College placement test?

A.  No.  The purpose of the placement test is to determine the most appropriate level of English, math, and reading courses as your child begins his/her program of study. 

Q.  My child is home-schooled.  Is there anything different he/she will need to do to enroll?

A.  The steps to admission for home school students and public school students are the same: http://www.yorktech.com/admission_steps.asp

While every effort is made to ensure the completeness and accuracy of the information supplied on this web server, York Technical College is not responsible for any errors or omissions, external links, or individual opinions.


 York Technical College, 452 South Anderson Road, Rock Hill, South Carolina 29730 | (803) 327-8000 | (800) 922-TECH