The Academic Coaching and Tutoring Center
B-Building, Room 6
Fall Semester Hours:
Monday - Thursday 8 am - 7 pm
Friday 8 am - 12:30 pm
Fall 2013 Schedule
ACT Center Referral Slip for Instructors
Academic Coaching and Tutoring Center Goals:
- Help students learn and apply appropriate academic skills and strategies to promote success in academic work.
- Help students develop a positive attitude toward learning and confidence in their ability to learn.
- Introduce students to the learning expectations of college-level course work.
- Support the academic standards of York Technical College.
- Help students achieve their potential for learning.
For more information about academic coaching and tutoring, contact Lauren Noble.
Writing and Reading Center
Located in B-6 Lab
For Writing and Reading Center hours, please visit the Center in B-6.
Goals: As a part of the Academic Coaching and Tutoring Center, the Writing and Reading Center strives to help students master the writing skills necessary to achieve success both in their classes and their lives. Our main focus is to:
- Help students understand and utilize the entire writing process
- Help students develop a level of writing proficiency and confidence that helps them feel comfortable writing in any area
- Support the academic writing standards at York Technical College
Information about online tutoring:
The ACT Center now has an Online Writing Lab in D2L! The D2L Writing Lab is available to any current York Tech student and is now where you go to get online tutoring for your writing assignments in any course. Please follow the directions below to become an active member of the Writing Lab community:
- Log into your D2L account and click on any class.
- At the left side of the screen, you'll see a box that says Extra Class Tools.
- In that box, you'll see a link called Self Registration.
- That page will redirect to a page with a link that says Writing Lab. Click that link.
- Follow the prompts.
- Click done.
- Go back to My Home and check under class listings to make sure you have a link to the Writing Lab.
Once you've registered, you can begin submitting rough drafts of writing assignments via the dropbox under the Writing Lab course. Please be sure to read the News Feed that explains the submission process, and check out the Content section for the necessary forms.
Feedback for your assignment will be uploaded as feedback in the Writing Lab's D2L dropbox within 24 hours of your submission. You will get the same type of feedback you would get in an appointment at the Writing and Reading Center, but the online tutoring lab is open 24/7.
This service will allow access to tutoring and coaching services to students from other YTC campus locations and will give students with difficult schedules a chance to access tutoring.
For more information about the new Writing and Reading Center, email firstname.lastname@example.org.